French Onion Bread Pudding
May 16, 2019
- 1 large sourdough baguette, cubed (stale is best)
- 4 sweet yellow onions sliced
- 1 red onion sliced in circles
- 2 cups beef stock (can use vegetable stock for vegetarian)
- 2 tbsps chopped thyme
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 lb gruyere cheese cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- Non-stick cooking spray and olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
- In large pot add sliced yellow onions, thyme, garlic, salt and beef stock. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for an hour stirring occasionally.
- In large pan add a touch of olive oil or non-stick cooking spray and add circle pieces of onion to grill on both sides, pinch of salt on each side, remove and set aside.
- Using the same pan that red onions were in add more olive oil to coat pan and add cubed sourdough. Slowly add the onion mixture and stir until incorporated and bread starts soaking in the liquid. Taste to see if you need more salt.
- Spray 13x9 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and add ½ bread mixture.
- Take ½ cheese and spread evenly, top with remaining bread mixture, top with grilled red onion and remainder of cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 45min. Uncover and bake another 10 until golden.